Brownie Batter Smoothie aka the PMS smoothie
Tips to reduce PMS:
- Maximize your fruits and vegetables
- Minimize salt and salty foods
- eliminate refined foods which lack minerals, vitamins and contain harmful additives
- eliminate caffeine which depletes your body of calcium and other minerals (note chocolate contains a lot of caffeine)
- eliminate sugar and other sweeteners
- choose organic whenever possible
Today we are going to make a treat to satisfy those cravings. Many women love chocolate especially 7-10 days before their period.
Some say that chocolate makes you feel good by increasing the levels of serotonin to your brain. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that makes you feel good and enhances your mood. About 7-10 days before your period, women experience a drop in their serotonin levels. This could be one reason why women crave chocolate prior to their periods. (You can also increase your serotonin by practicing yoga, pranayama (breath practice), meditation, remembering happy memories, getting a massage, getting out in the sunlight, going for a walk, eating almonds, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, walnuts, avoiding caffeinated beverages, eating brown rice, legumes and sweet potatoes).
Others say it is the trace mineral magnesium is what women are craving in chocolate prior to their period. However chocolate isn’t even one of the top 10 foods sources of magnesium. Kelp, almonds, cashews, molasses, buckwheat, brazil nuts, dulse, filberts, millet and pecans would be better choices.
However, sometimes you just gotta have it, so today we are going to make it!
Recipe for the Brownie Batter Smoothie aka the PMS Smoothie:
1 frozen ripe banana
1 tbsp raw cacao
1-1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk (we’re using walnut milk today)
10-15 drops of vanilla creme stevia
2-3 brownie bites (recipe linked below)
1. Place all the ingredients (except the brownie bites) in a high speed blender and blend until smooth
2. Place in your glass
3. Crumble your brownie bites on top
Brownie Bite Recipe:
I used Dreena Burton’s Fudgy Brownie recipe from her cookbook: Vive le Vegan and made them in mini-muffin tins. But you could make her insanely crazy delicious Creamed Cheese Brownies with Salted Dark Chocolate Topping and crumble some of those babies on top.
If you want a gluten free, sugar free, raw version you could make her Rawsome frosted B-raw-nies.