foot massage for insomnia
According to Ayurvedic medicine, our feet contain reflexology points that map out all the organs and parts of our bodies. For thousands of years, Ayurvedic medicine has recommended foot massage as part of your nightly routine before retiring to bed at night. Why would that be? Because your entire body is mapped onto your feet, when you massage your feet, you are receiving a full body treatment.
Massaging your feet at night is incredibly calming and stress reducing, especially for vata dosha, who are prone to anxiety and light sleep.
Today I am going to show you how to massage your feet before bed using Scentuals Yoga Serenity 100% Natural Massage Oil
For a 15% discount on the Scentuals Yoga Serenity 100% Natural Massage Oil or any other Scentual Products my viewers can enter discount code “melissawest15” when they check out at scentuals.ca They ship worldwide.
Scentuals Yoga Serenity 100% Natural Massage Oil has Argan, Avocado and Rice Bran Oil
- moisturizes , hydrates and softens your skin
- High in vitamin A and E and fatty acids
- The tocopherol from the vitamin E, helps to boost cell production
- Absorbs easily
- Eases inflammation
- Ideal treatment for cuticles and nails
- a great source of antioxidant carotenoids like alpha-carotene, beta carotene, beta-cryptoxanthin, zeaxanthin and lutein. These free radical quenching compounds protect your skin from environmental damage that leads to fine lines, wrinkles and other visible signs of aging. High amounts of carotenoids in your diet have been shown in scientific studies to improve your skin’s density, thickness, tone and general appearance.
- Avocados are high in vitamin C. Vitamin C´s antioxidant properties are needed for the production of elastin and collagen which bind your skin cells together and maintain their firmness and structure
- Vitamin E in avocados prevent free radical damage from oxidizing fats in your skin cells that lead to aging skin.
- The high oleic acid content in avocados is a monounsaturated fatty acid that maintains moisture in the epidermal layer of your skin, helping to make it soft and hydrated.
Rice Bran Oil for Skin
- Rich in Vitamin E and fatty acids, penetrates deeply into your skin´s layers, hydrates and nourishes from within making it soft
- Improves your skin´s elasticity
- Boosts your skin´s natural regeneration process
- Renews and improves your skin´s surface
Benefits of Jasmine Essential Oil
- Helps with dehydrated skin
- Helps to relax and uplift your spirit, relieves stress, anxiety and lifts depression
- It´s anti-inflammatory properties can help with arthritis and gout
Benefits of Sandalwood Essential Oil
- This oil sedates inflammation, anxiety, fear, stress, and restlessness. It increases relaxation, calmness, concentration, inner vision, and positive thoughts. Keeps your brain calm and relaxed relieving stress and anxiety
- Anti-inflammatory, soothes the skin
- Antispasmodic – relaxes nerves, muscles and blood vessels – helpful for cramps and aches
Benefits of Rose Geranium Essential oil
- Relieves anxiety, depression and insomnia
- Uplifts mood, lessens fatigues and boosts emotional wellness
- Relieves aching muscles and stress
Benefits of Lavender Essential Oil
- Eliminates nervous tension
- Relieves pain
- Enhances blood circulation
- Relaxes your body
Warm the massage oil in your hand.
- Cover your whole foot with the massage oil from your ankle to the tips of your toes.
- Use circular motions to massage the sole of your foot
- Take long strokes with an open palm from your heel to your toes on the sole of your foot
- Use long strokes on the top of your foot
- Massage each toe individually
There is an acupressure point that you can focus on in particular that is known to help relieve insomnia. It is located in the center of your heel. If you draw a line from both your ankle bones to the sole of your foot, the shimien point is where these two lines overlap in the middle of your sole. Apply a small amount of pressure on this tender point to help with sleep.
If you would like more support for your feet, we have 6 classes for your feet in our membership community, including our specialized connective tissue class for your feet. (Members Click here)
If you liked today’s blog post, give it a thumb’s up and click subscribe, we put out a new video like this every Wednesday.
If you know somebody who would benefit from today’s blog, please share it with them.
Today’s question for the comments is: What yoga pose helps you get the best night’s sleep?